Sunday, November 13, 2011

Cat versus Crane

CAST OF REGULAR CHARACTERS CONTAINED IN THIS POST:



I’m a procrastinator. Only with school work though and cleaning though. When I’m at work, I know that people are counting on me so I do everything in a timely matter. If my friends are having a party and need me to bring a plate of food, I’m always organised. If I’m planning a party, my facebook event is always up a month in advance. The problem is, when I’m the only person who is counting on me I can be terrible at doing things that need to be done.
For a long time I spent my days loathing myself for being this way. The problem with that was that it made me feel so low that I couldn’t to ANYTHING and hence the procrastination got worse. At one point, I was pretty much in a state of total stress about study and yet completely paralyzed from actually doing any study to make me less stressed. It really affected my quality of life.
After a long time of living this way I realised that this wasn’t working. So now I’ve accepted that am I this way. To solve this problem I pretty much carve out a huge amount of time to do anything. If I have an essay due, I’ll shut myself away for four days knowing that the first three days I’ll do less than a 10th each day and then get my shit together on the 4th day.
During these periods of shutdown, I don’t shower much, eat at funny times of the day and use whatever I can to distract myself from doing actual work. I forbid myself from participating in the real life social world so I have little stimulation. Over time I have become extremely inventive at finding ways to deal with procrastination stress with very few resources.
Allow me to demonstrate. This is a photograph picture book story that I texted to my boyfriend during a particularly intense study period. An important part of procrastinating for me to spending time annoying my cat. She knows when exams are coming because every 45 minutes I come and pat and prod her.


The Cat and Crane Crisis of 2011
by Elle Newby




 A small army of Cranes prepares to take on a giant feline. 


The attack is a success, the feline’s intelligence agency failed to foresee the entry of enemy forces into kitty territory.


To the surprise of the Cranes, the giant feline retaliates swiftly. She hits a sensitive location to the Cranes, the nest where their young are created. An all out war is likely to ensue if nothing is done.


 An emergency strategy meeting is held at Crane HQ.


A delegate is sent to Scratching Post, a location in enemy territory, to engage in much needed talks with the feline. 


After several hours of intense negotiation a peaceful resolution between the parties has successfully been reached.


The delegate returns home and to announce the good news to the residents of Cranium. A ceasefire has been established and the crisis averted.





Both parties have indicated their dedication to maintaining a amicable relationship into the future.

Anyway, during these few days I completed an essay, two lengthy job applications and an accounting assignment so everything turned out OK, for me and for Shelley.

xx
Elle



1 comment:

hostgator discount code